Friday, January 27, 2012

Days 15, 16, 17: the Paper Days



I never was a fan of crafts that involve paper. Either they're too fiddly and precise, or else they involve glue (sometimes both). But I knew that if I was going to be at this for a while, I would soon come across things like origami. Which, I figured, is a good opportunity to get better acquainted with paper (and glue).

So, first of all. Day fifteen: Paper beads.
I found instructions in one of my craft books for rolling pieces of paper and making jewelry with them. On day fourteen, I picked the paper I would use (an extra copy of a Knit Picks catalog), then cut the paper intro triangles. Picking the pages I would use and cutting the colorful yarn pictures was probably my favorite part of the process.
The next day, I glued and rolled up the triangles to get these elongated beads.

I like that it looks like an abstract pattern, and you can't tell what the original page was. They're also really solid for paper and glue. I still wish they were more bead-looking, but I think that's more down to my technique than anything else...they started to look a lot better once I stopped squishing them with paperclips and started to puff them out. I've also heard that coating them with nail polish makes them look really glossy, so I might try that.
I haven't made enough beads to actually make jewelry yet, but I'll let you know when I do. I'm thinking earrings or possibly a hair clip.

Day sixteen was my first origami project: petals for a kusudama ball (thank you, Dot, for the suggestion!). You make individual petals, then glue them together into flowers, then glue the flowers together to create this fancy ball. I like this style of origami, where you make lots of little segments and then attach them. It feels much less fiddly than larger-scale folding.

I'm in the process of slowly gluing the petals together, so it doesn't look like much so far. More on this front as well.

Day seventeen was the Day of Many Stars. I learned how to fold these little origami stars from strips of paper. It's super easy and super fast, and I couldn't stop making them! I'm envisioning making a billion and putting them in a vase.

Those are all my paper projects so far. I don't think I'm done with origami (and similar stuff) yet, so expect to see more in the future!

Before I go, I have two questions: one, how much skill do you have to acquire before you can call yourself a [insertcrafthere]er? I've been knitting for over a year, and I could definitely say I'm a knitter, but I've been into macrame for far longer and am not sure I'd call myself a "knotter" or a "macrameer"...maybe because most of the knotting I've done falls into a very small niche. No real right answer here...I'm just curious.
Question two is: what crafts would you like to see me do in the future? I have a few ideas still, but I need some suggestions before I descend into "and today I did this kind of braid, which is totally different from my previous five thousand braids".

1 comment:

Val said...

I think you should watch "Julie and Julia" movie. I'm sure you'll like it and find many details close to your heart :)