Friday, January 13, 2012

D.A.C. Days three, four, five

Day three:
When I proposed the idea of my challenge to a friend, she suggested baking as a craft. Since I know basically nothing about cooking, I think there's a lot of potential in this area.
So, on day three of the craft challenge, I made brownies (with advice from my bakey mother).




They're made with oats instead of flour and eggs, so they're supposedly really healthy.



They turned out awesomely gooey and chocolatey.

Day four:
My first knitting day. I decided to try a new stitch pattern, the linen stitch, since it's supposed to go well with crazy variegated yarn. (Which I have a tendency to buy because of "Ooh, pretty! Lookit the colors!")



I'm not sure what it is. It was supposed to be a scarf. I cast on enough stitches to make sure the blue didn't line up, and it turned out a little wide. Maybe a neckwarmer/cowl thing?



There's the back. I'm liking it so far, and the linen stitch was really easy to learn.

Day five:
I tried to learn this using this polypropylene cord I bought a while ago when I was trying to do more macrame. The polypropylene? The bane of my existence. It's stiff and slippery, and can barely hold an overhand knot. One day I'll find a use for this cord. (Maybe it can be knitted?) Weird choice for material, right? Well, I figured maybe it would work since the guy in the video was tying his cords loosely.



Nope. It just slipped apart before I could get anywhere.

Okay, so I needed something thicker. What about yarn? I have lots of it.



Well, it's better. The knots stayed, and I managed to get through one full set of knotting. But it looks pretty fuzzy and doesn't show the pattern well. I would have tried with a smoother yarn, but pretty much all yarn has some fuzz, and I needed something really crisp like the cord.

Oh, I know! I'll use DOUBLED polypropylene cord. If I tie each color together, they'll make one strand and won't slide apart, plus this way it'll be thick like the yarn! HAH!



*sigh*. See you on day six.

1 comment:

Lilac said...

Oh my goodness! You actually made posts every day out of 30-day month.
Will we see another Month Of ... any time in future? Billie