Tuesday, January 10, 2012

D.A.C.: Day two

Today's craft, along the same lines as yesterday's kumihimo braid, is finger-loop braiding!



I remembered seeing a Youtuber that I follow make a tutorial for these, so I figured now was a good time to try it.
It looks like a basic three-strand braid, but it's actually made with five loops that you hook on your fingers and shift around. (Apparently these were popular in camps...I never went to camp so I don't know.)
Today's craft was, evidently, also Creative Thinking Photography. How do you take a picture of yourself when your hands are keeping the braid from unraveling?




These things are SO FAST to make. I made my first in about ten minutes.



Then I made a second one.



Then I made a third one.



They're not really bracelets, since the ends aren't long enough to tie. I just braided until the embroidery floss ran out. Maybe I'll make them into keychains.
I didn't expect to like finger-looping as much as I did. It's fast and easy. Unlike most friendship bracelets, they're quite tactile, so it's possible to make one by touch while watching videos. And it also uses shorter lengths of embroidery floss than a knotted bracelet, so I was able to use up some scraps. Yay!

Tomorrow I'm going to strive to make something that isn't a friendship bracelet. Not sure what that is yet, but we'll see!

1 comment:

Val said...

I like the way you document your setup and the progress. Neat photos.