Monday, January 09, 2012

The Daily Artisan challenge

Hello! Sorry I disappeared for a year. To tell you the truth, I've been having doubts about what this blog is supposed to be...about. I mean, nobody (from my limited experience) is interested in reading a "general life stuff" blog, but I don't want to just limit myself to one topic, and if I do limit myself to one topic maybe I need a separate blog, in which case there will be nothing to write about here... *angst* *ponder* *philosophize* *reminisce*

Anyway. Blog-existentialism aside, I came up with a challenge for myself: try one new craft/art a day, and write about the experience. Originally I was thinking of making it into a vlog, but I realized it wouldn't make a very interesting video. I think the blog medium works better for this kind of challenge.
More on this later, but the guidelines I will follow are:

1. The craft doesn't have to be something I haven't ever tried, as long as there is something new to it (for example: I knit quite a lot, but have never tried the technique of making cables).
2. No repeats. I can continue something if I find I like it, but it won't count if I write about friendship bracelets twice.
3. I have to blog about every craft/art/technique, but I don't have to write every day. I can make one huge post a week, if I want.
4. By now you're probably wondering how long I'm going to do this. My first idea was to go for a full year, which I think will be entertaining once I start running out of crafts ("Today I learned how to...rake leaves..."). However, I don't want to be stuck doing this for so long if I start to hate it, so my current goal is "go until I fail", and we'll see from there.

If you're interested in my idea, I would appreciate suggestions for crafts/arts/artisan-things to do over the [undisclosed period of time].

Sorry this post is rushed. I wanted to get the introduction out of the way so I can move on with the challenge. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Val said...

Good luck! And a craft suggestion: iPad artwork (drawing/fingerpaining) :)