Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Um...bless you?"

So, yesterday I was just sitting at this desk in the library and reading, when this girl sits down at the desk behind me. She was only a foot or two away, but the way the desks are turned we were facing opposite directions, I just ignored her.
I had gotten to an interesting part, when the girl sneezed really loudly.
And then came the mental conflict.

Oh crap...what do I do now? Do I say "bless you"? I dunno...I would get embarrassed if someone did that, but some people are annoyed if you don't say anything. Ack, now the moment's passing...I shouldn't say anything. But she's right behind me! Oh well, it's way too late to say it now. I hope she didn't think find that awkward...what if she thinks I'm weird for ignoring the sneeze?

So three seconds passed, and I'm just getting over it, when...she sneezes again. And it started all over:

Ohgod, not again! I can't say anything now since I didn't say bless you the first time...aghhh...

And the moment passed. Again. As you can see, I'm kind of oversensitive to social situations (which makes me good at interacting with people, but can lead to stuff like this). How about you? Do you ever get similar problems? Would you rather someone ignored you if you sneezed, or if they acknowledged it somehow?

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Generally I appreciate it if someone says "bless you" when I sneeze, but generally I don't reciprocate. I'm a little shy, and also it could be potentially awkward if they sneeze multiple times. (I heard this guy sneeze like 50 times, once. xD)

Val said...

I don't say anything since different cultures have different "rules" about this, so ignoring "the event" is the safest way (IMHO anyway:-).

Dan said...

I'd be fine either way. I wouldn't expect a stranger to say "bless you" if I sneezed in a public place, but if they did, I'd probably get a kick out of it. I would agree that it's probably safest to ignore it. Great post!