Thursday, August 06, 2009

To vlog or not to vlog...

I've been thinking of getting a Youtube account lately, and starting a vlog (or maybe even a collaborative vlog with several people. Anyone interested?). For the uninitiated, a vlog is the same as a blog, but in video form. Anyway, I've been a bit unsure about it because A) I'm shy to have my face on the internet (read: paranoid), B)I'm lazy to do video editing and the like, and C) I know it'll make me blog less. Ignoring A and B, let's focus on C.
Would I blog less? I'm not sure what's more work: editing and posting a video or typing an entry. That'll be an important factor for me. But what about the content?
There's actually a difference between vlogging and blogging. For one thing, rambling is usually a no-no on a vlog, but it's that kind of thought process that makes for an interesting blog entry. So I guess I'd talk about serious rambly things on Every Colour, and more regular life stuff on my vlog? I dunno.
So...would you guys think? Should I start a vlog? Would you watch it?

3 comments:

Dan said...

Hey Nicole,

I've been wanting to start a vlog for a long while too, but unfortunately, my parents don't want me to do one, for your reason A.

But I would certainly watch yours if you did one! I think vlogs are unique because they enable the viewers to actually see more of the emotions that you can't get across in just text.

Dorothy said...

I would watch it!
I've been thinking of maybe making one myself, but I'd have to check with my folks, plus I have 0 experience with editing.

Vlogs are cool because even if it's a boring subject, your gestures and facial expressions (and editing skills) can make it hilarious and interesting for the viewer.

So yeah, I would love it if you did a vlog and I might consider doing a collaborative one with you, but I'd have to see.

Val said...

I guess, vlog is a blog in its essence and if one has something to discuss in a regular blog, same goes for a vlog. It never hurts to try, especially if you approach it creatively. I.e. to address reason A. you can make videos of your walk/bike ride/playing music/etc. with you being a narrator behind the scene, instead of staring into camera :-) As far as editing, it's pretty easy and doesn't take much effort on short clips.

Just my 2 cents :-)