Wednesday, July 01, 2009

What do you look for...

...In a book or movie? I know there are a lot of different aspects, but what is one thing (or two things) that you find you can't read a book without?
For me, it's story and characters. I used to think that I found the story the most important thing...and it is very important (that's why I barely read non-fiction). But I recently found out that if a book has characters that I love, I don't mind if the story sucks.
One thing I can do without in books are descriptions of places or things. I have a greater tolerance for them if I'm listening to an audio book, but for some reason I just get bored reading about the surrounding area, unless it's really really unusual or exciting.

With movies, though, it's different. I really like visuals (at least if it's fantasy or SF), and setting takes a bigger role in a movie than it does for a book. Story and characters are more equal, because it's harder for me to really love a character in a movie (maybe because I can't get in their head? Well, maybe I'll post about that later).

So...what about you? What's important for you in a book, and how is it different in a movie?

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

It's all about the characters and the writing style for me.
For instance, the book I'm reading right now, All Shook Up has some plotlines that are a little unoriginal, but the main character is very well done, so he handles them in a way that makes them more interesting.
I'm much more tolerant of a book with bad plotlines and good characters and writing than the other way around.
Descriptions...If they're the character's emotions then I like a good amount of them, but yeah, places and other people in the book get annoying if they go on too long.

It's usually the same for movies, but the story matters more there.

Val said...

For me it really differs by book/film. Some pieces I like for the clear and bright characters. Others appeal to me because of the artistic means used, i.e. refined language of a book or filming technique/camera work in a movie. Sometimes I enjoy a plot, a storyline, but it has be more of a surprising kind or an intellectual puzzle that unwinds along the way. However, I'm not a big fan of complicated and twisted plots -- my preference is in refined and elegant lines rather than epic and rich scenarios.