Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday: Audio books

Thursday already? We're halfway there, guys! Keep blogging!

When I'm reading a book that isn't going well for me, but that I have to read (for the book club, for example), you'll often hear me saying, "I'm not getting through it, so I've ordered the audio book from the library."

Sometimes I wonder why I find listening to audio books more engaging than printed books. Is it because if I find a description boring, I can just not pay much attention to it and it'll go by? Is it because I can multitask while I'm listening?

Well, yes, but I think there's more to it than that. I'm very people-oriented, and when I listen to someone I pay attention. Certain things seem more interesting when I hear someone talking about it.

Technically you could say that just reading a book is sort of like listening to someone talking (the narrator, the characters). It is, and that's why I love to read (especially dialogue). At the same time, it's not as close to the real thing as an audio book. And I think that's the reason I like audio books so much.

I know this isn't the same for everyone. My mom, for example, prefers reading to listening.

What do you think? Do you like audio books, but for a different reason? Do you hate them? Discuss!

2 comments:

Val said...

I like the audio narrative for just the same reason -- I find it more engaging and personal. But I listen mostly to podcasts of very wide range - politics, culture, fiction, technology, etc.

Dan said...

Personally, I like reading more. I find that the audiobooks go too slow for me, so I prefer reading so I can go at my speed. Thats just me. :)