Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday: The big picture

I've always been competitive. I compare a lot of things, and usually it's fun, but sometimes I compare myself to other people.

I remember I used to worry I'd be the last among my friends to lose all my baby teeth. Ok, I only have 4 baby teeth left...if I lose this one during our vacation I'll have caught up with so and so... Ok, maybe not quite like that, but it was close.

And then...we all finished with our baby teeth. And my competitiveness seems really silly now. I lost track of the big picture: that in the end most of us won't remember how we lost our baby teeth anyway, and we'll all be adults with normal adult teeth. Does it matter who lost what when?

Now that I'm almost done growing, I compare heights a lot. Oh no, I'm shorter than X but at least I'm taller than Y...and I'm not sure about Z, but I think... But, you know, who cares? The height thing will probably seem just as silly in a few years.

I'm sure there are other things like that too. Friends on Facebook. Or how many commenters I have. I generally don't do that, but I can't help it sometimes. But I need to realize that even if I don't have a lot of readers/followers/commenters, there are still people who read my blog. And not just random people, either...they're my friends. I think that's better than a lot of internet strangers.

2 comments:

Val said...

Yes, that is true. Even if there are no comments it doesn't mean nobody read it. You can always count on some people :-D

Dorothy said...

I do a lot of that stuff. It was a good reminder to me too!
I actually have gone to people's facebook pages/blogs and compared how many comments they get.
But yeah, it's pointless.
I think I'm going to work on the big picture so to speak as well.
Great post!