Thursday, February 26, 2009

My thoughts on Walden

Ok, so I finished the book Walden (by Henry David Thoreau) a couple of days ago (just in time for my book club meeting), and I was intending to post, but I never got around to it. So, here's my thoughts on Walden:
I didn't like the first chapter. First of all, I didn't agree with Thoreau. He's opinionated. He's critical. He seems to think that everybody will all be like him when they "live up to their potential". He wants everyone to go live in the woods and not interact with each other much. Second of all, the chapter was 60. Pages. Long. I couldn't believe I'd have to read this thing in time for the book club, which was in the end of February (I started late too).
But...once I got past the first couple of chapters, I noticed something weird was happening: it was starting to grow on me. Once Thoreau was done being opinionated he started to actually describe his life in the woods near Walden Pond. I liked his descriptions of nature, especially when they were less descriptions and more like anecdotes (Thoreau chasing a loon on the pond, an epic ant battle). I even started to agree with him on some points.
So, by the end...I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. I can see how it's a classic. It's sort of unique too (I think...I'm not really familiar with this genre).
I don't regret reading it...if only for the bragging rights. ;)

The next book we're reading is "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. Fiction and sci-fi! Woohoo! Maybe I'll post a "my thoughts" on that as well.

1 comment:

Val said...

Interesting... Sounds like something I might like :-) I was quite surprised to learn that the book you are reading for the book club meeting is ...(gasp)... NON-FICTION :-) Well, I'm glad to hear you liked it!