Sunday, November 15, 2009

Week three fixes everything

Last week I was stuck in my Nano novel. I felt like it wasn't going anywhere: I still had to wait through a few days (in my book) before my main character started actually doing stuff, I didn't know what do in the meantime, and in the long run I wasn't sure how the story was going to continue. I got my character stuck in an attic and had no clue what to do with that afterward. I resorted to writing complaints in my document to keep up the word count*.
But then...I got my character out of the attic (non-too-smoothly, but it's Nano so what do you expect?), went to a write-in, got through a few dream sequences, and finally revealed The Big Revelation (which is only a revelation to the readers, not the characters). I switched perspectives, and when I came back to Davis I was no longer annoyed with him. He has a lot to go through, poor guy. I like torturing him.
So now...it's going much better. I think it's going to turn out longer than 50,000 words, but that's okay...I'll work on it after November. It was supposed to be slightly post-apocalyptic, and I'm thinking of making it a post-apocalyptic-apocalypse. We'll see how that goes, but I just wanted to post this to say that I'm doing way better, and I'm more determined than ever to reach 50k! What's Nano without a little drama? It makes it more fun (I think 2009 is more fun than 2008 just because of the drama).
So...thanks for reading. Wish me luck!


*Although I would like to add that I was never actually behind in the word goal...I just like complaining.

2 comments:

Val said...

I'm glad to hear you are on the roll. It sounds pretty intriguing ... "post-apocalyptic apocalypse" -- looking forward to reading the whole thing. And yes, good luck in reaching your goal (word count and degree of drama and satisfaction :-)

V.

Anonymous said...

Good Day!!! every-colour.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding resourceful websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. I will be back.